Thursday, January 8, 2009

Job - Just Say No

Job 1:9-11 "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."

Today during math time, Sarie (my youngest, 8 year old daughter) began to get an attitude because she got a problem wrong. As I began to explain - very calmly really - why she should not act like this, she looks me in the eye - puts her hands to block me out and says, "This conversation is over." . . .
Needless to say, Sarie is without TV for a month. Along with that punishme
nt, she received a nice long lecture on who was in charge in this relationship and she has no business talking to me like that. It's a good thing she's cute. :)


In walks Satan - after God tells him that Job is upright and fears God - Satan tells God that it's
only because God protects and gives him everything, that Job wouldn't love God if He didn't give him all that stuff. Maybe here is where God should've explained to Satan who's in charge in that relationship - that Satan had no business talking to Him like that. Why didn't He? Why didn't God just say - Get out of my house and leave my people alone!

Here's why He didn't. Here's why He doesn't. He leaves it up to us. It is up to us to tell Satan who's in charge and to leave us alone. So if you didn't know it before, here it is for you now. It is up to US to say 'no' to Satan. It is up to us to turn away from him and make that effort to stay strong in God.

3 comments:

Kay Martin said...

You're right our Father has equipped us with the ability to choose and decide much. If were robots this wouldn't be important, but we are in a relationship with God and we show how dear He is to us as we choose those ways to live that honor Him.

Great post.

sailorcross said...

A wonderful insight!! Everything in our life is a choice--even whether we choose to love God or not!!

I choose to love Him, and I am thankful that He loves me, sometimes in spite of myself!!

Beth

Kelly said...

Funny, I like making the decisions when it benefits me. But when it's time to say no to Satan, I want God to come in.

Enjoying your blog very much, Dorothy!