Monday, January 12, 2009

Job - It's a Choice.

Job 2:3 On another day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them to present himself before him.And the LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it." Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil. And he still maintains his integrity, though you incited me against him to ruin him without any reason."


Wow, am I having Deja Vu or did we already read these verses? Why would God feel it necessary to repeat this conversation? Why not just say 'and then Satan showed up and they had the same conversation'. I'll tell you what I think, I think God is mocking him. This is too funny! God is mocking Satan. 'Weren't you the guy who was just up here saying that no one held true to My Word, that no one would follow My Way?'

The words "I told you so" seem to slip our of our mouths so easily. Was it the same way for God when Satan returned from wreaking havoc on a man with so much integrity? Did God basically look at Satan and say, "I told you so".

Now two things could've happened at this point. Satan could admit defeat and go home, or his anger burned inside of him so much that he would come up with new ways to try and torture Job into cursing God. Satan chose the latter.

What about us? When we've challenged God, whether it be to make our own decisions and not seek God's guidance or outright going against His Word. Do we humbly admit defeat and ask Him to forgive us, or do we get angry and start throwing out excuses as to why we acted the way we did. What will we do today?

4 comments:

Kay Martin said...

Get angry with God! Wow...I have to admit I have only been willing to admit when I am angry with God in recent years. Oh, I probably felt more anger toward what I felt He was doing or not doing in my life all those years before but I didn't realize His love and mercy was so profound I could express my feelings to Him.

Only when I trust HIm can I be real and intimate in communicating with Him. Now, I am more honest with Him than anyone else in my life.

Again you've done a great job bringing the Word into our everyday lives.

Sharon said...

Powerrrful, I felt the anointing on this one. Glad you brought it up again. I have so many times asked for forgiveness, and I know I only have to ask for it once.

But I find myself asking over and over, I get so mad at myself for getting mad at him, but then I didn't understand, but today I would neverrrr act that way. I have learned so much. And this was just the reminder that I needed, trusting in him.
Thank You for sharing this, I so enjoyed.

You are a blessing
Love,
Sharon

Greg C said...

I wish I could say that I always make the right choice but sometimes I fail and do get angry. I keep trying though and find that my angry moments get fewer and fewer. That's an improvement anyway.

sailorcross said...

Hmmm...that used to be me--angry at God for the way things were in my life. Some of them were my own choices, some of them just things that occurred.

I've learned though to admit when I'm wrong and try not to make excuses for my behavior.

Always an ongoing process.

Beth