Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sodom and Gomorrah - What's Your Excuse?

Genesis 19:20-22 Look, here is a town near enough to run to, and it is small. Let me flee to it—it is very small, isn't it? Then my life will be spared." He said to him, "Very well, I will grant this request too; I will not overthrow the town you speak of. But flee there quickly, because I cannot do anything until you reach it." (That is why the town was called Zoar).

My husband decided to rearrange his office the other day. It looks very nice, but a load of stuff suddenly appeared in my office - I'm not quite sure how that happened. I try to be a big help to my husband - strength-wise - helping move things, rearranging furniture. But now that I'm getting a 'little' bit older - my back has been thrown out before - I'm realizing I can't quite do the things I used to do. While raising my children, I try to teach my girls that they don't need a man. If they need to move something or take out the garbage or hammer a nail - they can do that themselves. On the flip side, because they have an older brother - I also try to teach them that if there is a man around who's available, it's okay to let him help and do the heavier things. It's such a fine line when raising children.

I think Lot was realizing his physical abilities as they began to flee So
dom. I think he looked out unto the mountains and said - ' there is no way I'm going to be able to make it there by the time God destroys the city'. I'm paraphrasing of course. So Lot goes to God and says - 'How about this one - this little city that's not too far away - I can make it there in the time alotted'. God said 'okay' and told Lot to hurry.

As I read these verses, the first thing that hit me was - 'why do these people keep questioning God's plan? Why don't they just do what they're asked? Then I thought, maybe, it's a good lesson to learn that if we ask God, even for the simple things of living in a place that's a closer distance, He'll make that possible. He feels for us and wants us to be happy.

Then as I thought further I wondered - what if Lot had done exactly as God had said? I wonder what miracles, what blessings would he have experienced if he had just gone to the mountains. Then I question myself. Is there something God is telling me to do and I've asked Him for the easy way out? What blessings, what miracles am I missing because I'm asking Him for comfort and ease over His all-powerful plan?

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm blogging similarly tomorrow...what God has asked me to do and I've said "send someone else" or "why me" or whatnot. And how does God response....

We're thinking alike this week.

debrah said...

for me it seems to be that God is saying keep pressing on even though you are not "seeing" the results nor envision the future benefits of pressing on...keep pressing on...don't give up...
Have a great week and thank you for another insightful post.

Greg C said...

I often wonder the same thing. Perhaps what I want isn't what God wants and even though I get my "wish" maybe things would have been a whole lot better if I hadn't.