Tuesday, January 1, 2019

New Year .... New Goals.... Same Mission


1 Peter 3:8-15 8Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. 9Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. 10For,“Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech.11They must turn from evil and do good;they must seek peace and pursue it.12For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer,
but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”13Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? 14But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened.” 15But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,
 
Happy New Year!!
For some, ushering in the new year brings excitement about what's to come ahead.  For others, a wave a nostalgia over the past year and goals met and relationships strengthened brings joy. Still for some, the realization that what once was, will no longer be holds firm and they are hurting.
 
 
 
I always struggle with a new years resolution.  Should I stick with the age old "lose weight, get fit" strategy?  The 'read the Bible in a year' has always held steady in the top ten.  Even 'get the garage organized' has been batted around a few times.  
But for this year, I think I've fallen back on my favorite verse and what began this blog so many years ago. 1 Peter  3:15.
 
As I get older and more cynical, I've found people - in general - annoy me.  I don't understand their mindsets or why they act the way they do.  Trivial though it may be, the mere hint of politeness has seem to have gone out the window.  So - why - I ask myself - should I continue to be kind to these people.  Oh right, cause God said to.
 
There is one goal in this life.  To serve Jesus.  When we love the unlovable and others wonder why - we should say - because of Jesus.  When we help those that are undeserving and it  makes no sense to other people, we should be able to say - because of Jesus. 
He tells us in 1 Peter 3:8,  love everyone.  When people are mean to you, still love them.  Not because they deserve it or need it, but because Jesus told us to and we love Him.
 
So this year, in 2019, I will try very hard to smile at the neighbor who parks on our lawn. To say "Hello" to the person who cuts in front of me at the grocery store. To spend an hour explaining to a client how the process works for the hundredth time without sighing in frustration.  I will let others merge in front of me with a wave and not honk when I am cut off. I will love.... because of Jesus.

No comments: