Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Samson - It's Not You, It's Me.

Judges 15:16-18 Then Samson said, "With a donkey's jawbone I have made donkeys of them. With a donkey's jawbone I have killed a thousand men."When he finished speaking, he threw away the jawbone; and the place was called Ramath Lehi. Because he was very thirsty, he cried out to the LORD, "You have given your servant this great victory. Must I now die of thirst and fall into the hands of the uncircumcised?"

I have a hard time empathizing with anyone who makes the statement, "I'm mad at God". Not that I don't sympathize with what they might be going through - whether a loved one has died or a serious illness has come over them - but to say they're mad at God seems a little bit . . . silly. The attitude that Samson has in these verses is the same as that person. God has given Samson victory over so many of the Philistines and now he has the nerve to tell God that He's not taking care of his physical need for water.

Who do we think we are? Beyond the fact the God has made it clear how much He loves each and every one of us, the promise that He will always provide for us and sent His only son to die so we don't have to spend an eternity without Him - how dare we ever think that God does not have our best interests at heart - let alone 'be mad at Him'. God is more than well aware of the tragedies that we face in our every day lives. The child who's health won't get better, the job we just got laid off of - but this is not His fault. In fact, it's OUR fault. God made it very clear what sin would cause - yet we spend our lives waving sin aside as if it was unimportant to pay any attention to it. The little white lie, the small rumor behind the desk, the small tweak on the income tax - all sin - all punishable.

Ellen DeGeneres made a comment that the church should have better things to do than fight the marriage amendment in California - like feed the hungry. Fighting sin is just one of the many things that Christians
need to do. Homosexuality - whether Ellen likes it or not - is sin - and just like all the other sins, it should not be tolerated. God loves all of us and doesn't want ANY sin to be committed. Since none of us are perfect, we know this is a struggle - but we need to remember that this is not what God intended for us. Jesus came down and died on a cross because we can't stop this sinning - it's time He gets credit - instead of blame.

2 comments:

Greg C said...

Ok I admit it, I blamed God when the pastor at the church I was going to acted unchristian like. I felt like; Why would he let someone like that lead a church. I know that sounds silly but I was hurt. Eventually I realized that the church I was going to was all wrong for me and my family and only by God letting something like this happen did I separate myself from this church. I have grown up a lot since then and now when something doesn't appear to be right I wait to see why God is doing that. I loved this post. It spoke directly to me.

Edie said...

I have to confess to a situation where I was "angry with God". I had just experienced the death of a dream that had a lot of long-time prayer behind it. The anger was my feelings that I could not help but my actions were not disrespectful toward God. "In your anger do not sin." It was a time of growth and painful stretching. I am glad that God is big enough to help me through the anger I felt and that He has done a work in me that kept me from sinning in my anger. Also that He brought me around to the proper perspective.

You are so right that all sin is not to be tolerated. I really enjoyed this too Dorothy. Very thought provoking.