Thursday, September 25, 2008

Noah - Valedictorian?


Genesis 7:
1 The LORD then said to Noah, "Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation.

When I was a sophomore in high school, I took a typing class. We didn't have the keyboards or laptops that we use today - in fact, we were doing good to get at a desk that had an electric typewriter rather than a manual one. On average, I was a 'B' student at best - but in this typewriting class, I excelled. I could type faster than anyone in the class and I looked forward to learning something new every day and increasing my speed. Often, Mr. Santelli, our teacher, would compliment my work in front of the class. He would use me as an example as how the rest of the class should be doing the work. While I was proud, I tried to show humility - not because I was resting on God's word - but because the other kids would make fun of me and try to point out any time I made a mistake. It didn't deter me. I kept doing my best every day and eventually got up to around 70 words per minute. (Which I can still hit on a good day). (http://www.typingtest.com/default.asp-for your enjoyment) .

Anyway, on the final day of school, during the awards ceremony, Mr. Santelli got up and stood in front of the whole school and announced the winner of the typewriting award. It was me! He had several typing classes all day long, but he said I was his best student of the year. While I realize it was a small award - it wasn't Valedictorian or even close - it meant a lot to me that he recognized my work over everyone else.

Noah was being recognized. God took Noah aside and gave him some hard assignments. God told Noah along the way that he was a good man in God's eyes and he would be spared. Now, after the ark had been built and Noah's building was complete - God took Noah in front of the world and said, "Get in the boat, Noah, you're the best in the class!" Many times we are knocked down for the work we are called to do by God. We are ridiculed for 'wasting' our time going to church. We are mocked for bringing our children up by the Bible's standards. But one day - God is going to stand at the podium and call our name and say - Well done, Good and faithful servant - here is your reward. . . and it will be so much more than a ribbon or trophy or plaque.

1 comment:

sailorcross said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog and your very encouraging comment. I wonder, too, why we wait so long to "give it all" to God. We actually experience more freedom belonging to God than if we don't.

As for Noah--I love Noah--I'm so glad I stopped by to visit you! Can you just imagine what Noah must have lived with--his family, friends, strangers--they probably ridiculed him to the end, calling him crazy for listening to God.

I'll be back to visit, and again, thank you so much for stopping by and your comments.

Beth