Saturday, September 6, 2008

Jonah - Drama Queen?

Jonah 4:3-5 Now, O LORD, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live." But the LORD replied, "Have you any right to be angry?" Jonah went out and sat down at a place east of the city. There he made himself a shelter, sat in its shade and waited to see what would happen to the city.

Could Jonah be more dramatic? "I didn't get my way, so just kill me". I must, once again, refer back to children: The one who says 'if I don't get my way I'll stay in my room all day' - to which one should reply, 'okay'. Did Jonah honestly think that comparing his life on earth being destroyed, came remotely close to thousands of people being lost for eternity? Angela made a good point when she commented on a post two days ago about why Jonah may have had such a reasonable dislike for the Ninevites - but it just goes to show, God overshadows our dislikes. We may have every reason in the book to dislike someone, or their actions - but God shows us right here what he thinks of that. . .

God says, "Have you any right to be angry?" 'Cause we all know, Jonah ain't sinless. God questions Jonah here in hopes that he'll see the co
mmon sense in all this and change his attitude. Jonah does have something going for him this time - he doesn't talk back to God - he simply walks away. Sometimes it's good for us to be able to get off by ourselves and let God handle things. Let's face it, He is going to do a much better job than we will. Are we willing to let go and let God handle it?

1 comment:

God's girl said...

Oh girl you just hit it hard right here. This is exactly what God is trying to get through my wounded heart. Great post! This is the exact point as to why He has me studying Jonah. Girl, the things we can learn from these people who are just like us.
Much love girl and keep it up your posts are encouraging and filled with meat!
Ang