Sunday, October 4, 2009

Jabez - Are you a Cookie Monster for God?


1 Chronicles 4:10d - And God granted his request.

This is the last part of the prayer of Jabez. It is the outcome of the prayer of Jabez. It's not very climactic. In fact, it's completely 'matter of fact'. It's as simple as 2 + 2 = 4 ; Man of faith asked = God of all granted. So why did he have to ask in the first place?


As I studied the prayer of Jabez, how he asked for things and God simply gave them to him - and pondered whether it was a one time occurrence and only meant for Jabez, an analogy came to mind. Many times, I will go to the store and while buying groceries, I will pick up something for the kids. Maybe some cookies or snack cakes, I might even get them some special drink and put it in the refrigerator - simply because I love them. Now when I get home, and put all the groceries away and then get busy doing everything else, I will probably completely forget that I even bought those items for the kids. However, if one of the children comes up to me and says, "Hey Mom, Can I have a couple of cookies" - I will then say - "Yes, I got those for you".


Now God doesn't forget, but I do think He has things for us and He's just waiting for us to ask Him for it. Does that mean whatever we ask for it will be given to us, since God has it waiting? Even though I have cookies for the kids, if they ask me to eat them a half an hour before dinner, I'm going to say "no". But that doesn't mean 'no' forever, it just means they'll have to ask later when it's not going to hinder them by spoiling their appetite. However, like the cartoon, when we start to go after things ourselves that God has said 'no' to, disaster can strike.


God loves His children. Jabez was a faithful and honorable man, one who knew the power of the Almighty. One who wanted to serve God and have a personal relationship with Him. His prayer is truly an example of God's unconditional love for us.

No comments: