Thursday, August 21, 2008

Rahab - ends.

Joshua 2:23-24 Then the two men started back. They went down out of the hills, forded the river and came to Joshua son of Nun and told him everything that had happened to them. They said to Joshua, "The LORD has surely given the whole land into our hands; all the people are melting in fear because of us."

Have you ever wondered if what you had purposed to do is actually working - or is it pointless - a time waster. I went to a small church and when I had recently graduated high school, I had been asked to be the music leader for camp one year. I had put a few songs together that the kids had probably not heard of before and decided that we would sing these songs - got the music together and headed to camp. The first song I taught the kids was very simple - you may have heard it "What a mighty God we serve" - pretty simple. The kids caught on fairly quickly and we sang it through a few times. When it came time to learn the other few songs that I had the music for, they had such a difficult time. They never seemed to get the other songs and so we always fell back on "What a mighty God we serve". So for the whole week, we'd spend the first 5 minutes of each lesson trying to learn new music and the last 5 minutes singing "What A Mighty God We Serve". :) Although I knew God had worked through camp, and I did the right thing by helping out with the music - I never thought it was really useful because the kids didn't catch on to the other songs I was trying to teach them. Until. . . about two weeks after the camp was over, a father of one of the children came up to me and said - "Thank you for teaching that song "What a Mighty God we serve" to my daughter. She has been walking around the house for the last two weeks and that is all she sings. I'm glad that she realizes we do serve a Mighty God. How awesome is that!

This is what Rahab has done for Joshua in these verses. Joshua who was following God and doing as he was told but not really seeing the benefits, finally has his doubts vanquished with the realization of what Rahab told his men . . . The LORD has surely given the whole land into the Israelites hands; all the people are melting in fear because of us. Joshua's strength and courage are renewed, because it is true . . . We do serve a Mighty God!

No comments: