Monday, July 14, 2008

Esther - Smart Gal

Esther 7:1-6 So the king and Haman went to dine with Queen Esther, and as they were drinking wine on that second day, the king again asked, "Queen Esther, what is your petition? It will be given you. What is your request? Even up to half the kingdom, it will be granted." Then Queen Esther answered, "If I have found favor with you, O king, and if it pleases your majesty, grant me my life—this is my petition. And spare my people—this is my request. For I and my people have been sold for destruction and slaughter and annihilation. If we had merely been sold as male and female slaves, I would have kept quiet, because no such distress would justify disturbing the king. King Xerxes asked Queen Esther, "Who is he? Where is the man who has dared to do such a thing?" Esther said, "The adversary and enemy is this vile Haman."

Bom bom boooooom...

And there we have it. Now while we can see these passages as the "closer" to Haman's villainous treachery - there's actually something completely different I'd like to look at:

Esther has been told by the king - once again - to tell him what she wants. It could be anything, up to half the kingdom, and she could have it. I don't know about you, but I might've been tempted to stutter-step here a bit. Maybe a new room with a nice king-size bed and a dishwasher that actually works and a refrigerator whose door closes all the way. A personal trainer for this insidious cottage cheese that keeps appearing on my thighs - oh the list goes on. But not Esther, she did not falter, she did not stumble, she kept true to her mission.

How about the way she convinced her husband - hmmm? First she says "If I have found favor with you, O king" - In other words - 'Honey, I really do hope that I make you happy because I love you so much'. Then she basically states that because someone is trying to kill her, it will take away his happiness that she is wanting him to have - how sly is that?? Then as an afterthought - oh, and my people too. She goes on to tell him that if it was just something else that would cause her alone pain, that would be fine because he was too important to be bothered with that. Can't you see how this way of wording might work with a spouse? First - let him know how important he is and that you want him to be happy because you respect him. That you want to be the reason for his happiness. Second, let him feel that he is the one making the decision- less stress on us anyway - right?

How angry the king got - who was this man who was trying to hurt his queen (and in essence, him)? God has given us such wonderful guidelines to follow - through people and direct rules. What a wonderful story to know that all things work for the glory of God, if we just trust Him.

No comments: